September 4, 2011

Past Meals

Last week Nate's mom came to watch Mr. Babyman for a few hours so I could get out of the house. I meant to escape to a coffee shop to think, read and write. In taking the computer with me I thought maybe I could type faster than I could write in my journal. Silly me.

Instead of focusing and writing I became distracted and played with my blog format. Searching through all of our old photos looking for a fun and simple one for the header I was flooded with wonderful memories of times spent with the people we love gathered around different tables, laughing and enjoying meals together. Sometimes I can get bogged down, thinking of all the rough patches Nate and I have been through. But looking at these pictures I am supremely overwhelmed by the blessings we have enjoyed in our over five years together.


In semi-chronological order, here are a few of the photos and memories that just made me smile:


Christmas 2008. Here's dessert, mincemeat pie and Christmas pudding. It was supposed to just be my parents and us gathered for a little Christmas Eve supper, but Liz and Jason and baby Hazel managed to make it through the snowy mountains just in time for dinner. Snow covered the roads but it was cozy and marvelous in our little apartment.



Spring 2009. We decided that we should never be without wine in our home. So we bought a case of Two-Buck Chuck to supplement. We had that cabernet sauvignon coming out of our ears for months because we would forget we had it and would go out to buy other wines for our Monday Night Dinners.



July 2009. My birthday. It was one of those crazy hot days. Nate took me out for dinner and then we got Molly Moon's ice cream while we walked around Capitol Hill.



October 2009, New Orleans. Beignets and chicory coffee at Cafe Du Monde. Seriously, one of our best vacations to date! I want to go to there (again).



June 2010. WIne barrels in Woodinville on my dad's 65th birthday. It was a relaxing cloudy day spent tasting wine and eating tasty food at various places.


January 2011, Leavenworth, WA. Our niece, Hazel, admiring pastries whilst out on a frigid walk. We all needed some hot cocoa and coffee to warm up from the snow outside.


January 2011, Seabrook on the coast. The intrepid Julia made mini-pies when the house we rented didn't have a pie plate. What can be better than pie for breakfast?


Each of these pictures just instantly transports me to the place and time they were taken. I can feel the sun on my neck in the park, smell the oak of the wine barrels, see the street musicians playing on the sidewalk in New Orleans, taste the warm berry filling of the pies all over again. I don't know why I am surprised how much food shared with those we love can hold such powerful memories. The times we eat with others are times we are vulnerable. We have a need that must be filled and one can't look proper and pulled together when biting into a pile of spareribs or swishing and swashing tastes of wine. Everyone needs to eat, we might as well make it enjoyable.


I am incredibly thankful for all the times we have shared with friends and family over food and wine and I cannot wait for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment